Who's Responsible for What?
What part of the system am I responsible for?
Browse this page to learn who is responsible for the maintenance of the water service facilities at your property.
San Jose Water's Responsibilities
We provide and are responsible for the following:
- Connection to the water main in the street
- The service line from the main to the inlet side shut off valve (curb stop or angle stop)
- The water meter, water meter box and the outlet side coupling
The customer is responsible for everything from the connection of their service line to SJW's coupling. This includes but is not limited to the following:
- The customer's service line from the meter to the house
- The house valve
- All plumbing fixtures both inside and outside the house
California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) Rule 16 requires that customers maintain their service lines in good condition so that the utility may perform routine service and maintenance work. Title 16 also requires that the customer provide and maintain a shut-off valve between the utility and the customer's service.