Who's Responsible for What?
Understanding your water service to effectively troubleshoot issues
Many different pipes bring water into your home. And, it can be confusing. However, there’s actually a clear distinction between who is responsible for the maintenance and repair of those pipes. We’re here to help you learn more so you can troubleshoot any issues you may experience.
San Jose Water Responsibility – SJW is responsible for the pipes that bring water from the water main located under the street, all the way to the meter outlet coupling. This includes:
- Connection to the water main in the street
- Service line from the main to the inlet side shutoff valve (curb stop or angle stop)
- The water meter, water meter box and the outlet side coupling
Customer Responsibility – Customers are responsible for everything from the connection of their service line to SJW’s coupling. This includes but is not limited to:
- Customer's service line from the meter to the house
- House valve
- All plumbing fixtures both inside and outside the house