Water Bill Payment Help
The last two years have been challenging for many in our community. If you find yourself behind on your water bill and unable to make payments, San Jose Water wants to help.
- COVID-19 Relief Funds. As part of the COVID-19 relief act, the State of California received funds to help those most impacted financially by COVID. San Jose Water received these funds in February and applied them as credits to impacted existing customer accounts. The bill credits were applied to water rate charges from March 4, 2020 to June 15, 2021. If you were eligible for these COVID relief credits, they were applied to your bill in early April. You are responsible for any remaining balance.
- CPUC Water Shutoff Moratorium Ends. On April 17, 2020, the California Public Utility Commission authorized a water utility shut-off moratorium due to COVID-19. This moratorium ended on February 1, 2022. This means that water shutoffs can now resume.
The information below is a list of payment programs to assist you in paying off your water bill. These resources exist to ensure your water will not be shut off. If you are having trouble determining which program is right for you, our Customer Service Advocates are here to help.
- Flexible and extended payment plans
Email a Customer Service Advocate or call (408) 279-7900 for assistance.
- SJW’s Water Rate Assistance Program (WRAP)
WRAP provides a 15% discount on the total water bill for eligible customers based on income. Apply in English, Spanish or Vietnamese. If you need more information, email customer service or call (408) 279-7900.
- California Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) (Does not begin until June 2022)
The federally-funded LIHWAP provides financial assistance to low-income Californians to help manage their residential water bill costs. The Department of Community Services & Development (CSD) has been designated the administering agency for LIHWAP in California. San Jose Water will be participating when the program begins in June 2022. Sign up to receive LIHWAP updates here. If you want to learn more about LIHWAP, go to https://csd.ca.gov/waterbill
- West Valley Community Services
A non-profit, community-based agency is offering water bill assistance to the west valley communities of Santa Clara County. Contact (408) 255-8033.
- St Vincent De Paul Society (SVdP) - Santa Clara County
While the type of assistance may vary by church and location, SVdP is committed to helping their community through person-to-person services, including paying water bill expenses. Contact (408) 249-2853.
- Sacred Heart Community Service and Valley Water have a program to help low-income households pay water bills. Visit: https://www.sacredheartcs.org/utility-assistance or contact (877) 278-6455.
- Dial 211 for Essential Community Services
211 is a resource and referral line that provides information on social assistance programs and other health and human services. Contact 211.
Many people will experience trouble paying their bills and expenses during their lifetime. It’s important to remember that you are not alone and that by being proactive, we can help you find a solution. If you’ve fallen behind on your water bills, please contact a Customer Service Advocate at (408) 279-7900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss options.