Recent Press Releases
San Jose Water Celebrates a Year of Remarkable Achievements in 2023
SAN JOSE, CALIF., January 24, 2024 – San Jose Water (“SJW” or “the Company”), a wholly owned subsidiary of SJW Group (NYSE: SJW), is proud to share a year of significant advancements and milestones in water management and customer service.
“We have maintained a long tradition of delivering safe and reliable water service while ensuring that we protect and preserve our environment,” said SJW Group Chair, President and CEO Eric W. Thornburg. “Water touches everything important to us including public health, fire protection, and economic development.”
Highlights of 2023 include:
- Advancements in Infrastructure: SJW successfully completed over 100 projects, including construction and upgrades to three large water storage tanks and the replacement of over 20 miles of water mains.
- Investing in our Community: $150 Million in capital improvement projects were completed — ensuring continued safe, reliable, and efficient water service to our customers.
- Innovative Leak Detection Program: SJW’s advanced leak detection program proved a resounding success, saving an impressive 717.4 million gallons of water in 2023 — contributing significantly to water conservation efforts.
- Fleet Modernization: In 2023, SJW’s fleet included more than 24 electric vehicles and 30 ChargePoint charging stations.
- Solar Energy Achievements: With the production of 1,005,063 kWh in 2023, SJW’s solar systems have contributed to the environmental equivalent of sequestering carbon over 91.3 acres of U.S. forests for a year.
- Water Quality Assurance: SJW’s new Montevina Laboratory achieved the Environmental Protection Agency’s NELAC certification for drinking water quality.
- Wildfire Prevention: SJW entered into a strategic partnership with Santa Clara County FireSafe Council (SCCFSC) and N5 Sensors to deploy AI-powered sensors across 6,000 acres of watershed lands to provide fast and accurate real-time alerts when fire is detected nearby. This sensor network is an important component of SJW’s overall wildfire mitigation strategy, significantly increasing SJW’s ability to quickly detect and respond to wildfire on watershed lands.
Looking Forward to 2024
SJW is gearing up for another year of exciting initiatives. These include a water main replacement program targeting 24 additional miles of pipeline over the next 12 months; four new wells at SJW’s Mabury Station facility; a new disinfecting chlorination system at SJW’s Gish Station facility; and several solar system installations. Additionally, the rollout of a new Enterprise Asset Management System marks a major improvement in the company’s ability to extend asset lifecycles and improve productivity — all aimed at enhancing service, minimizing environmental impact, and continuing San Jose Water’s long history of community focus and precious resource stewardship.
About San Jose Water
Founded in 1866, San Jose Water is an investor-owned public utility, and is one of the largest and most technically sophisticated urban water systems in the United States. The company serves over one million people in the greater San Jose metropolitan area. San Jose Water is owned by SJW Group, a publicly traded company listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol SJW. SJW Group also owns: Connecticut Water Company in Connecticut; Maine Water Company in Maine; and Texas Water Company in Texas. To learn more about San Jose Water, visit: sjwater.com.
Director of Corporate Communications